Thursday, June 7, 2012

Life after the baby

How the little dahling changed my life..Just a recap!

Jobless.Yes, I quit to be a SAHM after 7 years of corporate life.Never imagined in the remotest of my dreams,I will be the stay at home type.Anyways,here Iam.Relieved from the world of weekly meetings,triages and bugs.Completely absorbed into the world of diapers,breast-feeding and baby talk.Trust me I would have traded for the former happily,atleast one's target was set and deadlines were met.

Well,this one should top the list..never knew I had it in me to take care of a baby all by myself.Yes! you read it right..I TOOK CARE OF MY BABY ALL BY MYSELF AFTER A C-SECTION ..not that one had much choice when the hubby went abroad and one's mom went crazy.The first few months were terrible.I used to keep my hand to the baby's chest every few hours in the night to check if the little ball of flesh is indeed breathing right.Went paranoid reading about SID syndromes and what not! Anyways,I did it.yay!...here is my darling daughter naughty and thriving at 9 months and the darling self has gained enough gyan to author a book on baby-care.

Have honed my multi-tasking skill to the next level.Do the dishes,prepare a variety of meals for the picky brat,dry the adult-clothes from the washing m/c,dump the baby clothes into the said m/c,make sure to use baby detergent for this cycle,listen to the latest chartbuster on the FM,peep into the instructions on the recipe-blog,work on a new meal for the hard-working hubby.. amidst all this keep one's eye on the baby whose motto oflate seems to pull out the wool outta the Zakopane sheep doll.Hm,should I start her on meats?Looks like she is gearing up to tread on the footsteps of her carnivorous parents.Mmuuahh! Kudos to self.Now you know why a 9-5 job is way much easy-peasy.

I now officially qualify to compete the 'minute to win it' events being well trained on changing the diaper in the 'swish of a wand'  and do many other tasks in the blink of an eye.One gets to master the tactics and the speed comes naturally after a few mishaps,you see.

Well,the songs you have painstakingly collected and treasured will come to no use to soothe your unsettling  baby.The age-old lullabies,soul soothing bamboo music,melodies of the flute,meditation music,the week's chartbusters,heart-breaking melodies all trashed by the child.Well .. a mere stroke of luck this..BABYTV.'Charlie & the numbers' video is the magic potion to hook the baby.Even the said video's audio seems to calm the baby instantly.We have caught her laughing when charlie gets kissed by princess 2.The little brat! Bow to thee..Charlie.

Patience for the little dahling is on an all-time high while hell hath no fury like a mommy whose sleepy baby is awaken by a newly-settling-down-polish neighbour doing all the drilling and filling in the common wall.Ggrrrhh!

Gone are the days..when the hubby asked those "..ah.. there she goes! again,why is she crying?" questions with a helpless fury and search for answers in the momma's eyes while the novice momma was self-confused and would shout back "How will I know? Iam still in the same planet as you are".Now that Iam a trained ped rather close,I can differentiate the various forms of wails from the little girl and answer confidently "She doesn't like that Fisher price rattle anymore,give her that Body Lotion Hotel Sample to playwith.That's her new favourite".Yes, babies will not necessarily love the fancy high pricey ones you have picked.

Many of them-the good rellies seeing our little dahling inherit her father's looks,told us that a baby girl looking like her daddy would bring lots of good luck to the said daddy.I ask why not? The father still holds his job,gets a decent share of sleep everynight and also keeps his attendance to the weekend cricket matches.Indeed,the father has been extremely lucky post the baby.I stand by this myth.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm...you have come a long way from the girl I knew! You are a full-fledged, self-reliant child-care proficient, super-mommy now. Hard to imagine. But one cannot deny the truth.

Loved your post. You must do this more often (whenever Tanya is asleep,dreaming about Prince Charlie ;-) )

Saritha said...

muy buen.

Yes Sho, you are definitely the super mom now!!!!I am so jealous you took my title away gurl.

But, I must say u did it very well....taking care of a baby all by u'rself after a c-sec. only 1 word, WOW!!!!

KP said...

Too good ... loved reading this post..I can understand how difficult for you to manage all the chores admidst of your funnily written post ...Girl ! You rock..

Shoba Sharat said...

#Unknown - Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.Sure,will try to pen more when outta dreamland myself.

#Saritha - Ha!Ha.. & thanks for being there when I needed them the most.

# KP - Thank you babe.So do you.

Muruganantham Raju said...

Dear Shoba,
Wonderful. I enjoyed reading this post. I adore your multitasking skills but don't google for syndrome :) While you turn the lucky sign to the father now, she will ultimately decides her choice time to time :) Keep writing.

Tweety said...

Hi shows.she is so cute. Ur words r always my favourite. Like the one abt KALKI. me too enjoying the same. Rishi is 11m now. Happy parenting.

Shoba Sharat said...

# Muru - Yes,yes.Be there to administer the emergency CPR's to my brain now & then jus like this.

# Tweety - Wow.Wow.Wow.I missed you soo much babe.Congragulations,you have almost hit the first year mark.(Let drums roll) Happy first b'day in advance Rishi.